CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 16, 2009

Coffe, or drinks or dinner, or a movie...for as long as we both shall live...


You've Got Mail ... even though I don't usually list this movie as my favorite movie, it is definitely way up there on the list. I love it! The title of this post is one of my favorite lines in the movie. My relationship with this movie dates back ten years to when it was released in the theaters in 1998. My Mimi, my dearest Mimi, had just passed away right before Christmas. She lived with us and was under hospice care, so no one had done much Christmas shopping. One day during the week after she died (the week before Christmas) Mom and I decided we would attempt to go get some shopping done. We weren't having any luck and we just weren't that into it. So we headed to the movies! At the box office, we specifically asked the attendent "does anyone die in this movie?" We just knew we could not handle it if someone did. "No" was the answer. We headed into the movie...Jack Frost... FABULOUS!!...Not only does the dad die and become a snowman...the snowman daddy melts! Thank you Mr. Box Office Liar! We were so bummed! We headed out of the theater and mom grabbed my arm and said "we are not leaving on that note!" We headed back in and watched Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fall in love on screen (again). It was wonderful and we felt so much better! I will always credit this movie for such a sweet memory during such a sad time. In fact, a few years later after celebrating my first Christmas as a married woman in our little married student housing apartment I was taking down my tree. I was so sad because I had just found out that my favorite professor had died unexpectedly over the break. He certainly wasn't everyone's favorite professor...but he was special to me and drove three hours during the summer to attend my wedding. Just in time, the movie came on t.v. and again Tom and Meg saved the day!

When we went to New York a few Christmases ago, our friends Ryan and Susy took us to Cafe Lalo. What is so special about this place? It is only the cafe where Kathleen waits for her secret internet friend with a book and a rose. Plus...I do believe that the dessert I ordered there is quite possibly the best I have ever had! We had such a delightful evening with Ryan and Susy eating stinky cheese plates at an authentic Italian restaurant, getting dessert, and chit chatting into the morning at their sweet little apartment.


Now, I am sitting on my couch on a Friday night after spending all day with my baby girl! I should be working on documentation for work, but I am typing this blog and watching...you guessed it...You've Got Mail. Happy Weekend!


4 comments:

Susy said...

I put the Christmas plaque that you gave us that night on my buffet this year and thought of your visit. That was a fun night, and I think of it often (especially the stinky cheese...I'll never forget that!). I also remember it being freezing that night, and having to wait outside because the restaurant so small and crowded! It's that cold tonight too! Also, You've Got Mail has become one of my most favorite movies too, because most of it takes place in my beloved neighborhood, the Upper West Side. One of the opening scenes where Meg Ryan is walking down a sidewalk is right across from my apartment!! I'm glad it has brought such comfort over the years! Love you!

Magen said...

I love everything Meg Ryan (pre-plastic surgery)! I watched the Women last night and am beginning to fall in love with the post-surgey Eg too. Why do women who are uniquely beautiful allow ourselves to think we need to have thw exact same noses and chins and stomachs as... Who? Who has the perfect everything? Oh, mannequins!

Susy said...

I agree Magen! I watched The Women yesterday and was thinking about her duck lips...they were a very bad decision. I was comparing her in my head from Sleepless in Seattle and now...she might have aged well but now she just looks puffy.

ryan said...

susy said that you commented about our stinky cheese adventure. had to see it myself. long live Vieux Boulogne!

http://www.stinkycheese.com/top-three-stinkiest-cheeses.html